National Solid Waste Management Programme (NSWMP): Consulting Services for Programme Implementation in Qena and Assiut (Lot A)
Detailed description of project:
The NSWMP jointly financed by BMZ, EU and Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) addresses technical, institutional and organisational challenges of the Egyptian Solid Waste Sector. The investment measures including related capacity building at the regional level are implemented by KfW/SECO/EU, whereas GIZ oversees the institutional strengthening and capacity development of the two new local SWM units, e.g. through Monitoring and Evaluation of Pilot Operator Models implemented with NGO and through staff technical skills training.
The programme’s scope is divided into three work packages: WP 1 focuses on the development and review of master plans of Qena/Assiut including provision of capacity building for the establishment of functioning solid waste management units (SWMU). WP 2 will support SWMUs in their work with local governments, support their primary collection activities and introduce new economic instruments, whereas WP 3 comprises mainly construction and supervision activities.
The following main investments are envisaged for the two Governorates:
- Collection and Transport Systems: 17 units for municipalities under 20,000 inhabitants up to municipalities over 100,000 inhabitants;
- Sorting and MRFs: 10 material recovery facilities from simple mainly manual sorting facilities with a capacity of under 10,000 t/a up to facilities with automatized components and a capacity over 30,000 t/a;
- Composting plants: 10 units from simple heap composting with a capacity of under 10,000 t/a up to facilities with automatized components and a capacity over 30,000 t/a;
- MBTs: 10 mechanical-biological treatment units with the same layout parameters as the MRFs and composting plants;
- Transfer Stations: 10 units from simple one-quay up to complex TS without compaction;
- SLF: new sanitary landfills under and above 1 mio cbm as well as extension of existing ones with the same capacity parameters;
- Dumpsite rehabilitation: 8 units from coverage and restoration under 100,000 cbm up to complex rehabilitation over 500,000 cbm.
Type of services provided:
- Support the process of establishing functioning SWM units within the Governorates (Deputy Team leader, DTL);
- Review / update and develop strategic SWM Master Plans for all waste streams (DTL);
- Organise the identification, design and implementation of immediate priority SWM measures (DTL);
- Carry out an option analysis for municipal waste management (DTL);
- Support the SWM units and municipal operation services (DTL, SWM-Trainer, HRD Expert);
- Implement and evaluate Operator Models for primary collection and recycling (DTL);
- Prepare economic instruments for Governates and local level (DTL, SWM-Trainer, HRD-Expert);
- Identification of training needs and conduct of training measures (SWM-Trainer, HRD-Expert);
- Contribute to preparation of detailed design and tender documents for construction works and supplies (Geologist/Hydrogeologist);
- Supervision of construction works and supplies contracts; defects notification (Construction Supervisor).
|Waste Management Regulation Agency of Egypt (WMRA)|
BMZ through KfW (WP 1 and 3), GIZ (WP2)
|11/2016 – 10/2021|
|Contract value: 5,285,579 €|