Security of Water Supply in Peruvian Cities (ProAgua)
Detailed description of project:
The water resources management and sanitation sectors in Peru are represented through the National Water Authority (ANA) and the Ministry of Housing, Construction and Sanitation (MCVS) respectively. The ProAgua project supports these sectors in managing the increasing risks to water resources due to Climate Change (CC), pollution by untreated wastewater and a low adaptation capacity in urban water supplies. It also contributes to building capacities for Agenda 2030 and the implementation of the Paris Agreement in the sanitation sector.
To ensure sustainable water supplies for urban areas, improvements are needed in the following areas: the identification of water security risks; the management of urban water and sanitation services; building adaptation capacities for CC and extreme weather events in cities; the protection and efficient use of the water resources in national river basins.
The project objective that “the security of water supplies for the urban population is improved” will be achieved through delivering the following results:
- The conditions for climate resilience in urban water supply are improved.
- Capacities to protect water resources from industrial and domestic pressures are improved.
- Training for water professionals in the sanitation and water resources management sector meet sectoral needs.
- Water sector policies are linked to the NDCs and SDGs 6.1 to 6.3.
Type of services provided:
- Elaboration of a CC vulnerability analysis and prioritisation of measures and financing tools to reduce water security risks;
- Design and validation of forecasting concepts for CC and its impact on national water resources;
- Implementation of adaptation measures and instruments at metropolitan level (Lima);
- Elaboration of technical studies and implementation of pilot measures (at national level);
- Establishment of a sectoral M+E system;
- Elaboration and diffusion of technical guidelines on wastewater management;
- Capacity development and certification for the sanitation utility;
- Design of an O&M system and staff training for 20 wastewater treatment plants;
- Establishment of MIS based on GIS;
- Establishment of and training in M+E system including regulatory accounting system;
- Develop a concept to decentralise quality management to 12 training centres;
- Vocational training curriculum development for water technicians;
- Establishment of cooperation with universities to secure continued postgraduate education and training.
|Contract value: 5,300,000 €|