The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has earmarked grant funds of up to 14 Million Euros for the implementation of this project, thus, being by far the largest international donor-funded venture on Nature Protection and Conservation since the independence of the Ukraine. The project will be delivered in the framework of the German Financial Cooperation (FC) and is being financed by the KfW Development Bank. The Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources (MENR) of Ukraine is responsible for the implementation and operation of the project.
The project is being implemented by an international consortium composed of AHT GROUP GmbH (lead), WWF Danube-Carpathian Program, Frankfurter Zoological Society and the Ukrainian Society for the Protection of Birds (USPB).
The objective of the Project is to improve management and effectiveness of selected Protected Areas (PAs) in Ukraine as well as to increase or maintain at a high level the acceptance of PAs in local communities. The project will apply a phasing approach by initially focusing on two protected areas in the Carpathians (before progressively extending project activities to additional areas over the project lifetime of 6 years.
The following four project outputs have been defined:
- Identification and Planning of Project Measures - Output 1;
- Project Implementation (Investments) - Output 2;
- Local Acceptance and Socio-economic Measures - Output 3;
- Strengthening of the National PA System - Output 4.
- Analysis of legal framework, review of existing technical standards and guidelines on participatory management planning of PAs;
- Status & needs assessment for PA capacity, infrastructure and equipment;
- Involvement of the local population in the management planning for the respective protected area and develop management plans according to international standards;
- Identification of “quick-start measures”;
- Identification of investments needs (local and national level);
- Development of a specific Project Management Manual;
- Development of socio-economic investment plans;
- Establishment of the investment and the procurement plans for the protected areas;
- Development and implementation of O+M concepts, plans and support activities for investments at local and national levels;
- Tendering and procurement;
- Disposition fund management;
- Development and implementation of a concept for the inclusion of additional project areas;
- Support to the development of a national protected area strategy;
- Conflict assessments and develop conflict mitigation strategies, development of grievance mechanisms;
- Conduction of public relations and awareness raising measures;
- Activity, output and impact monitoring.
|BMZ through KfW|
|Contract value: 2,480,238 €|