The “Irrigation Programme Southern Vardar Valley Phase 2” is the follow-up Phase 1. Its objective is to sustainably increase agricultural production in the Southern Vardar Valley, through the modernisation and rehabilitation of irrigation schemes for a cropping area up to 2,050 ha.
Experience and lessons learnt from Phase 1 (2003-2013) form the basis for the technical and institutional concept of Phase 2. The focus is on pressurised pipe irrigation systems, the utilisation of water-saving technologies (drip, sprinkler) and the constitution of water users associations (referred to as water communities) responsible for the O&M of the irrigation schemes.
- Assist the PIU in the supervision of the detailed technical design and the elaboration of an appropriate engineering concept for the rehabilitation and modernisation of the irrigation schemes;
- Assist the PIU in tendering, bid evaluation, contracting and supervision of the design, works and supply contracts according to international standards;
- Assist the PIU in the implementation of an updated assessment of economic and financial viability of the irrigation schemes, resulting in a ranking of irrigation schemes;
- Financial and economic analyses;
- Establish WUAs (organisational concept, registration, transfer agreements);
- Train the WUAs in O&M of the irrigation systems and hand over the modernised schemes.
|Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Economy|
|BMZ through KfW|
|07/2014 – 12/2021|
|Contract value: 2,625,000 €|