The Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park (PNKB NP) is located in the Quang Binh Province in Central Vietnam, about 500 km south of the capital Hanoi. In the West the park borders Laos. The PNKB NP harbours one of the world's two largest karst regions with several hundred caves and grottoes. The plateau is probably one of the finest and most distinctive examples of complex karst landform in Southeast Asia.
Major threats to the natural resources and biodiversity in the PNKB NP are commercial poaching and wildlife trade as well as illegal or unregulated exploitation of timber and non-timber forest products. However, as a well-developed tourist destination, PNKB-NP offers the potential to reconcile sustainable tourism development with local livelihood development and biodiversity conservation.
In cooperation with GIZ, the project supports integrated land use planning, the allocation of land and resources in and around PNKB-NP, phased and conditional support to households in adjacent communities, NP management planning, and a revised performance-based law enforcement system. Elementary to the project is the proven concept of deposit accounts.
- Support to the national park master planning process (including organisational review):
- Operational Management Plan (2013 – 2020);
- Strategic Management Plan (2013 – 2025)
- Planning of national park infrastructure and equipment including procurement;
- Establishment and strengthening of law enforcement system;
- Afforestation and natural forest management of lease holders; land allocation;
- Community forestry;
- Support to state forest enterprises to comply with FSC standards;
- Support to protection forest management boards to establish joint forest protection schemes;
- Support to buffer zone investment planning;
- Support to the provincial PMU in financial management, controlling, and procurement;
- Design and establishment of rural infrastructure (irrigation schemes, small scale eco tourism facilities);
- Development of the design and concept of an environmental education centre in the park.
|People’s Committee of Quang Binh Province|
|BMZ through KfW|
|08/2008 – 12/2016|
|Contract value: 2,669,920 €|