Component 1 (led by GIZ) of the EU intervention “Sustainable management of water resources in rural areas in Uzbekistan” aims at contributing to further development of a national water resources management strategy by enhancing legal, institutional, organizational and financial frameworks and regulatory instruments. Furthermore, capacity building addressed to policy makers on national and basin levels is complementing the efforts to build up the Uzbek water governance.
As part of the improvement of higher education in water management in Uzbekistan, the project targeted TIIAME for activities aiming to strengthen its curriculum on issues related to River Basin Planning (RBP). TIIAME is one of 16 leading universities in Uzbekistan defined as a basic higher educational institution for the organization of re-training and advanced training of chief and teaching staff of higher education institutions. Furthermore, it is renowned for being a first-class academic and scientific institute, currently offering 24 subjects at bachelor’s degree, 26 subjects at master’s degree level, and 11 subjects for doctoral studies and an advanced training for specialists working in different state institutions. The subjects offered at TIIAME relate to water management, irrigation, environmental protection, electrification and automation, land management, agricultural mechanisation, economics, management and marketing in the water industry.
The aim of these consulting services is to support the efforts of capacity building of future policy makers on national, regional and executive level by developing training modules on RBP to be integrated in the bachelor’s, master’s and advanced training programme of TIIAME. Additionally, material for a training-of-trainers course is to be prepared and teaching staff of TIIAME shall be trained to enable them applying the RBP training modules.
Task 1: Analysis of existing training modules on RBP at the TIIAME to identify the most appropriate methods and tools for integrating new modules on RBP into existing education programs.
Task 2: Development of training modules on RBP on different levels of education (Bachelor, Master, Advanced Training programs and advanced training program for managers) in TIIAME including:
- Development of a course program on the basics of RBP and the development of basin management plans by means of folling a river basin management cycle;
- Development of mechanisms to improve the quality of courses and to motivate listeners;
- Development of a special package of necessary normative and educational-methodical documents.
Task 3: Training of Trainers (ToT) for TIIAME teaching staff
- Preparation of the ToT for teaching staff of the TIIAME, including training plan, materials and other documentation, on the content of the curriculum on the different levels while incorporation didactic methods (problem-oriented learning and problem solving techniques) necessary for the curriculum and the elaborated syllabi.
- The ToT was carried out in two parts, the first taking place in Tashkent and the other in Koblenz. The ToT implemented in Koblenz included a study tour for the teaching staff for best practice exchange at a European university (the Koblenz University of Applied Sciences) as well as a visit to the International Commission for the Protection of the Rhine (ICPR).
Task 4: Development of a textbook on RBP
- With reference to the national guidelines for a higher education in Uzbekistan, the material used for the RBP training was consolidated into a textbook format.
|Co-financing with EU|
|07/2018 – 07/2019|
|Contract value: 64,576 €|