The South Karakalpakstan Water Resource Management Improvement Project area is located less than 100 km from the city of Nukus in the north, the capital of Karakalpakstan, and about 20 km from the city of Urgench in the west, the capital of Khorezm Oblast. Almost the entire drainage system of the South Karakalpakstan Right Bank system has been successfully rehabilitated under the DIWIP using the World Bank’s funding of about US$ 60 million (equivalent). The newly constructed main drain and the rehabilitated on-farm and inter-farm drainage system are now being improved.
Consulting services include the completion of environmental and social assessments and the preparation of Resettlement Policy Framework and a Resettlement Action Plan, which comply with the legal and regulatory requirements of the Government of Uzbekistan and of the World Bank. Thus, the main objective of the consultancy services is to assess the potential impact of the proposed interventions through undertaking
- An Environmental Assessment;
- A Social Assessment;
- An Environmental and Social Management Plan;
- A Resettlement Policy Framework and
- A Resettlement Action Plan.
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA):
- Collection of information on the proposed project;
- Gathering and systematization of environmental baseline data;
- Analysis of legislative and institutional settings including the preparation of guidelines;
- Identification of potential impacts and analysis of alternatives on the proposed project;
- Development of an Environmental Management Plan (EMP); and
- Public consultation and information disclosure in Beruni, Ellikala and Turtkul.
- Social Assessment (SA):
- Identify and analyze broad social development issues and main stakeholder groups;
- Conduction of interviews, focus group discussions and a farm/household survey;
- Preparation of a public participation plan;
- Identification of social development indicators for the project M&E component;
- Preparation of a Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF);
- Preparation of a full Resettlement Action Plan (RAP).
|Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources, PIU for Water Infrastructure|
|10/2011 – 02/2012|