The project RRM Mansehra aims to support the UPU and other Implementation Partners of the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in the development and implementation of projects based on multi-sectoral and multidimensional approaches. The RRM Mansehra Project was conceived to ensure the integration of the sectors of water supply, wastewater, and solid waste management through the pilot of infrastructure schemes to be implemented following a systematic process. It is a contribution to good governance with a particular focus on equipping the district Line Departments with improved tools for effective participatory and evidence-based planning, design, and implementation. Additionally, it shall directly address the Global Sustainability Goals, in particular No. 11 ‘Sustainable Cities and Communities’, No. 5 ‘Gender Equality’, No. 6 ‘Clean Water and Sanitation’, No. 9 ‘Innovation and Infrastructure’, etc.
The Project objective “to identify, develop, implement, promote, and document pilot models based on a combination of related infrastructure measures, suitable for replication in other districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa” will be achieved through the delivery of a package of activities organized within the following outputs:
Output 1: Improve the capacity and competence of public service departments on province, district, and tehsil level.
Output 2: Identification, development, and implementation of technical solutions for measures integrating the sectors of water supply, wastewater and solid waste management.
Output 3: Development and introduction of measures to raise the awareness of local population and contribute to change their behaviour regarding the protection of natural resources.
Output 4: Identification and documentation of best practise technical solutions, participatory approaches, capacity building and awareness raising for replication in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province.
And the implementation of pilot projects.
- Providing support to the UPU in the development of a Land Use Plan for the District Mansehra and the Integrated Development Plans corresponding to five tehsil towns;
- Preparation of a training concept and on-the-job training of UPU in the development of a Land Use Plan and participatory planning;
- Conduction of institutional assessment and development of a stakeholder landscape map to support the multisectoral implementation of technical solutions;
- Conduction of context and situation analyses and participatory local needs assessments with the focus on the sectors of water supply, wastewater, and solid waste management;
- Elaboration of integrated baseline and end-line surveys;
- Organization and moderation of participatory planning and mapping workshops;
- Preparation of situation and sectoral maps of the selected project areas. And integration of those maps into a GIS database;
- Support in the procurement and conduction of feasibility and technical studies; and support in the procurement, development, and implementation of pilot projects;
- Conduction of trainings to Line Departments staff on design, construction and operation and maintenance of technical solutions;
- Develop technical and training manuals for the design, implementation and operation and maintenance of technical solutions;
- Conduction of behavioural analysis (individual, household, community, and institutional scales) for the development of awareness campaigns to improve individual responsibility in regard to handling water and solid waste, and overall environmental protection;
- Document best practices and lessons learned from the project for upscaling and replication in other districts of the province;
- Disposition Fund management.
|Urban Policy Unit (UPU), Planning & Development Department (P&DD), of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|BMZ through KfW|
|11/2020 - 11/2023|