The overall objective of the consultancy is to establish a GIS/MIS centre and develop a reliable and transparent information system and database to enhance data processing and analytical capacities of the Indus River System Authority (IRSA). In addition a Decision Support System (DSS) will be developed to automate the decision process pertaining to water distribution among the provinces based on the provisions of the Water Apportionment Accord of 1991. The specific objectives are to:
- Establish a GIS/MIS Centre/Lab and develop its linkage to a database to process, store and retrieve data and report procedures for regulation and management;
- Develop a Decision Support System (DSS) hosting GIS/MIS, tools, model interfaces and reporting procedures to provide assistance for determining and evaluating alternative operation and management procedures of the Indus Basin Irrigation System (IBIS);
- Design a web interface for effective data sharing within IRSA, all Federal and Provincial stakeholders and the public;
- Prepare manuals and conduct training programmes for IRSA staff.
- Design and development of detailed terms of reference including hardware and software with complete specifications for setting up a GIS Centre/Lab at IRSA’s office in Islamabad;
- Development of thematic layers within a GIS to be used as a base map for locating all the hydraulic structures (dams and barrages);
- Development of a GIS-supported reporting format;
- Review of the existing database including data collection, storage, retrieval, processing and transmission;
- Design and development of an integrated database structure with GIS linkage/interfaces compatible with all tools and models developed by the project;
- Development of procedures/tools/models for improved statistical, hydrological, hydraulic and flow forecasting analysis including water accounting and auditing to enhance IRSA’s analytical, operational and management capacities;
- Calibration and validation of all developed procedures/tools/models using 20 years of records;
- Development of procedures to link/interface/interactive database, GIS/MIS and DSS with the updated Indus Basin Model Revised (IBMR) for integrated operation and management of IBIS, taking into consideration different forecasts and demand options;
- Review of the different river basin management/simulation models applied in the Indus River Basin and recommendations for a simple and relevant river basin model to be operated and managed by IRSA. This river basin simulation model shall be interactive with the IBMR database and gradually incorporated into the Indus Basin Decision Support System.
|Indus River System Authority (IRSA)|
|10/2012 – 09/2013|