Monitoring of the Project “Hutan Harapan – Supporting the Sustainability of the First Ecosystem Restoration Concession (ERC) in Indonesia”
Detailed description of project:
Indonesia is facing an important challenge to support at the same time the rural communities in their attempt to find improved and sustainable living conditions, to fight against climate change and land degradation, and last not least to conserve Indonesia’s precious resources for future generations.
The project is part of the International Climate Initiative” (ICI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). Hutan Harapan was established as the first Ecosystem Restoration Concession (ERC) in Indonesia, supported by the International Climate Initiative (2009-14) and the Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA, 2012-18).
The project area includes the 98,013 ha of the ERC and a buffer zone consisting of villages bordering the ERC, in which at least 20 different groups of people currently live.
Under Indonesian law, forest concessions can only be acquired by Indonesian companies. Therefore, the company PT Kestorasi Ekosistem Konservasi Indonesia (PT REKI) is the holder of the concession licence. PT REKI is a company incorporated under Indonesian law by a consortium of RSPB and BirdLife International. PT REKI (as PEA) is responsible for the management of the ERC and thus for project implementation on site in the areas of ecosystem management, stakeholder partnerships, business development and finance/administration and support services.
The purpose of the Project is to manage the Hutan Harapan ERC sustainably in terms of biodiversity, ecosystem functions and livelihoods. The project should contribute to curbing illegal land seizure, ensuring support for local communities and developing business activities that ensure medium- and long-term financial sustainability. The outcome of the Project is to ensure the protection and ecologically, economically and socially sustainable management of the ERC area and sustainably secure the ERC management.
Type of services provided:
Main objectives of the services provided:
- PEA and main stakeholders receive advice on ERC Project management and on implementing project activities;
- Continuous information of KfW about the project’s activities, its challenges, and risks. It is expected that the Monitoring Expert provides an independent professional opinion on project progress and the potentials and risks occurring during project implementation. Additionally, management advise shall be given.
- Regular (yearly) monitoring missions (critical verify the project, including review of project documents and budgets; site visits to assess the quality of measures; meetings with PEA and main stakeholders to assess their attitude and skills);
- Technical advice on managerial and administrative aspects as overall budget, annual work and procurement plans (AWP/APP), team composition, forest protection and law enforcement, business plan and value chain, community engagement;
- Mid-Term Review;
- Final evaluation mission;
|Burung Indonesia (in cooperation with NABU)|
|BMU through KfW|