Water Storage and Flood Protection Program (IWRM), Consulting Engineering Services for Implementation of the Rarai Dam Realization Component
Detailed description of project:
The Rarai dam is planned in the north of the Tunisia in the governorate of Jendouba near the Algerian border in a poorly developed and disadvantaged region. The dam will be located at the confluence of two tributaries Oued El Bidour and Oued El Hammam on the Oued Rarai, which is itself a tributary of the left bank of the Medjerda.
The construction of the dam will have the following objectives:
- Increase storage capacity in northern Tunisia and contribute to the protection of the downstream region (including the Medjerda Valley) from flooding;
- Contribute to the creation of a buffer capacity in the north of the country that will be necessary for the transfer of surplus water from the north to the center under study within the framework of the IWRM programme;
- Provide water to irrigated areas in order to promote socio-economic development in the project area;
- To allow the recharge of the groundwater and improve the drinking water supply of the city of Ghardimaou with good quality water.
The services of the consulting firm for technical assistance are divided into six phases as follows:
- Phase 1: Studies of possible alternatives;
- Phase 2: Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA);
- Phase 3: Preparatory studies for the proposed variant at a level that allows for the direct preparation of a public tender and the award of execution works;
- Phase 4: Preparation of a public tender and evaluation of bids;
- Phase 5: Implementation studies;
- Phase 6: Control and supervision of implementation work.
Type of services provided:
As part of the project, the AHT is responsible for the implementation of Phase 2: ESIA. The main objective of the ESIA is to identify and analyse the potential environmental and socio-economic impacts of the construction and operation of the dam in the area of influence, to propose appropriate environmental and social mitigation measures, as well as an environmental/social management monitoring plan (ESMP).
The ESIA work includes the following main activities:
- Development of the study in accordance with the environmental and social standards of KfW (Sustainability Guideline) and relevant Tunisian legislation;
- Identification and analysis of positive and negative impacts on the local population, natural resources, flora and fauna;
- Proposal of environmental measures for each of the identified impacts;
- For each of the proposed measures, the definition of responsibility, the timetable and the cost of its implementation;
- Design of the environmental management plan;
- The development of an environmental monitoring plan;
- Planning and implementation of public consultation measures in the project area of influence.
|General Directorate of Dams and Large Hydraulic Works (DGBGTH)|
|BMZ through KfW|
|04/2018 - 11/2023|
|Contract value: 4,377,400 €|