Programme for the Rehabilitation of Public Irrigation Schemes - Implementation
Detailed description of project:
The Republic of Niger is one of the poorest countries in the world. The irrigation sub-sector contributes about 28 percent of the agricultural sector's GDP. This confirms its strategic significance for food production. The establishment of the Public Irrigation Rehabilitation Program in Niger (PRPIP) aimed to develop the potential of existing irrigated areas. Their rehabilitation was an integral part of the current strategies of the Government of the Republic of Niger and concretized the Five-Year Priority Plan of the investment program of the Niger Basin Authority (ABN). For the implementation of this program, the ABN had obtained financing of 11 million euros in the framework of the German financial cooperation (KfW).
The program targeted the rehabilitation of ten (10) public irrigation schemes (PIP) in the Niger River Valley, located in the regions of Tillabéri, Niamey and Dosso. These ten schemes made an area of 2,532 ha, i.e. 25% of the national rehabilitation program planned by the 3N Initiative (Les Nigériens Nourrissent les Nigériens). The particularity of this project is the participatory rehabilitation. Thus the project has worked to achieve five results:
- R1: Participatory physical rehabilitation of the ten public irrigated schemes (10 PIP) for a surface area of 2,532 ha;
- R2: Capacity building of irrigators and their organizations: 12 training modules were identified and provided to 1,458 cooperative members;
- R3: Strengthening the capacities of the contracting authorities: 6 training modules were identified and given to 38 regional managers;
- R4: Improvement of processing and strengthening of rice supply and marketing networks (construction of mini-rice mills and shelters for rice hullers and construction of storage and drying areas.
- R5: Treatment of the protection of Koris.
Type of services provided:
- Preparation of the FIRPIP (Fonds d'Investissement pour la Réhabilitation des Périmètres Irrigués Publics) procedures manual;
- FIRPIP strategic implementation plan;
- Preparation of detailed design studies;
- Procurement of rehabilitation works;
- Participatory implementation of rehabilitation measures;
- Development of management manuals for rehabilitated areas;
- Adjustment of internal regulations by cooperative;
- Management recovery plans for each cooperative;
- Mobilization of the company and the building sites;
- Supervision and control of works, site meetings, progress reports;
- Provisional/definitive acceptance and demobilization;
- Analysis of the impact of rehabilitation on irrigation efficiency;
- Capacity building of irrigators and their organizations;
- Capacity building for project management;
- Reinforcement of supply and marketing networks;
- Cooperation with other institutions in rural areas (NGOs, state services, etc.);
- Administrative and financial management of the project;
- Management of the disposal fund.
|Niger Basin Authority|
|BMZ through KfW|
|10/2013 – 07/2020|
|Contract value: 4,063,749 €|