The project supports the National Programme for Small-scale Irrigation (PNIP) focussing on the development of the irrigable agricultural potential in the regions of Koulikoro and Sikasso, with an antenna in Bougouni. The global objective of the project is to contribute to reinforcing food security and the nutritional state of the population through increasing and diversifying agricultural production and improving the accessibility of goods produced on small-scale irrigation schemes.
The following is implemented through the project’s Infrastructure and Accompanying Measures / Valorisation Components:
- Construction of mostly small-scale irrigation schemes, incl. e.g. micro dams and water spreading weirs;
- Consolidation and / or rehabilitation of irrigation schemes;
- Construction of rural roads;
- Construction of storage facilities;
- Construction of environmental protection works (reforestation and other anti-erosion measures, gabions, stone barriers, soil and water conservation measures);
- Pilot fish farming measures in the reservoirs of micro-dams;
- Mobilisation and support for the population, including water user associations and farmers' organisations in all the phases and for the construction and operation of these infrastructures, as well as for improved agricultural production and processing techniques and commercialisation.
The project adopts a co-management approach for all activities. The implementation units are managed together by a national and an international coordinator (principle of co-management).
The project provides a Technical Advisor to support the Permanent Technical Secretary (PTS) of PNIP on administrative and financial management of the various small-scale irrigation projects in Mali and their coordination as well as the harmonisation of their procedures.
Infrastructure / implementation of irrigation schemes and other infrastructure:
- Mobilisation and organisation of the population;
- Site exploration;
- Participatory planning of the investment measures;
- Selection of consulting offices for feasibility studies, design and documentation for the tender process for the works, including environmental and social impact studies;
- Selection of contractors for the implementation of works;
- Attribution of markets and control and reception of works;
- Organisation of the contribution of the beneficiaries (financial and technical contribution in the form of non-qualified labour).
Accompanying measures/Valorisation Component:
- Training of farmers in relevant fields (agronomics, technical processes, conservation, establishment of contacts to buyers and processing entities for integration into value chains, processing);
- Support to the structuring, capacity building and functioning of water user associations and farmer organisations (cooperative societies and dam management committees), including e.g. on administrative and financial management;
- Training of farmers for basic maintenance of irrigation infrastructure;
- Development of rules / operating agreements for newly developed land;
- Implementation of pilot methods for fish farming in small dams’ reservoirs;
- Specific studies (e.g. on characteristics of storage warehouses).
- Management of the disposition (investment) fund;
- Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) of project results and impacts, including the use of drone images to measure cultivated surfaces;
- Capacity building of local administration in drone technology.
Technical support to the STP-PNIP:
- Harmonisation of procedures among the various small-scale irrigation projects in Mali;
- Coordination of financial management of the projects and the financing of the PNIP, incl. support to preparation of funding (co-funding is provided by the Canadian cooperation, USAID, the European Union, all through KfW);
- Reporting on the advancement of the PNIP, including updating the M&E system for PNIP and the development of a sectoral budgetary data base;
- Communication and capitalising the experiences made;
- Secretariat of the National Committee for Orientation and Monitoring;
- Communication with the consultant(s); etc.
The activities to support the STP-PNIP include the development of an Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) including a Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP) for all small-scale irrigation (“IPRO”) projects, following World Bank and KfW standards:
- Comparative analysis of international (World Bank/KfW) and national standards and legislation, including identification of applicable Environmental and Social Safeguards (ESS) of the World Bank;
- Detailed analyses of current practices of development, implementation and monitoring of environmental and social impact assessments and environmental and social management plans for the individual project sites in various regions of Mali;
- Development of preliminary ESMF per region and type of infrastructure/investment;
- Identification of specific mitigation measures (per region and type of infrastructure/investment);
- Public consultations on regional level;
- Clarification of responsibilities of the various ESMF stakeholders;
- Development of standard procedures for the small-scale irrigation projects;
- Development of templates for all stages (impact assessments, management plans, complaint mechanisms, etc.);
- Development of budget for implementation of the ESMF;
- Discussion of ESMF with client, KfW, other donors involved, and validation on national level by a technical committee according to Malian legislation;
- For the SEP: Stakeholder analysis; needs analysis in terms of capacity building; development of a capacity building plan; elaboration of the SEP document.
|Ministry of Agriculture, National Directorate for Rural Development|
BMZ / European Union / USAID, through KfW
|03/2017 – 09/2019|
|Contract value: 6,645,315 €|