The objective of the Project is to increase the agricultural production of small-scale farmers through the rehabilitation of irrigation schemes in the Office du Niger area (N'Débougou zone) to help the rural population of Mali use the economic potential of irrigation for sustainable, profitable agriculture and increased food security.
The contract covers two components:
- Rehabilitation and construction of infrastructure
- Accompanying measures for the development of infrastructure
The total area indirectly concerned by the Project is estimated at about 25,000 ha for total irrigation control and about 80,000 ha for the drainage system.
Under Component I, the following is planned
- Rehabilitation of the Grüber supply channel; recalibration of the Marigot DINA and construction of the dyke track; rehabilitation of the N'Débougou main drain; rehabilitation of the Siengo main drain; rehabilitation of the N'Débougou scheme on over 4,200 ha (approx. 3,200 ha within the scheme and 1,000 ha outside the scheme); extension of the Kala Inférieur Est collector drain to the third reach of the Fala de Molodo (33 km); construction of social infrastructure and environmental measures including the development of quarries and ponds, soil restoration, disease prevention and control, hygiene and sanitation measures, small irrigation perimeters near villages with boreholes and solar pumps, a feeder channel for the N'Débougou and Siengo distributors.
Component II foresees the realisation of the following measures: training and capacity building, coaching, strengthening of farmers' organisations (OPA) (rice, market gardening); the introduction of market gardening during the cold off-season; and a pilot livestock programme.
Component 1: Technical assistance and project management:
- Coordination and information of the various actors; administrative management and reporting; management of procurement procedures and management of the disposition fund; monitoring and evaluation, including the setting up of an information system for remote monitoring and management (Remote Management, Monitoring, and Verification (RMMV) concept);
Component 2: Project Management (maitrise d’œuvre):
- Review of studies and confirmation of technical design; preparation of detailed designs, preparation of tender documents; procurement support; supervision of works; monitoring of works during the guarantee period and carrying out their final reception;
Component 3: Updating of ESIA and preparation of SEP and ESMP
- Stakeholder engagement (SEP), description of the legislative, regulatory and policy framework, description of the baseline situation, identification of environmental and social impacts, preparation of the ESMP;
Component 4: Monitoring and addressing environmental, social, health and safety (ESHS) issues;
- Development of the Monitoring and Surveillance Plan, information and awareness raising, project level Complaints Management Mechanism (CMM);
Component 5: Accompanying measures for valorisation:
- Capacity building of relevant Office du Niger staff (project management, monitoring and evaluation, operation and maintenance of infrastructure, water management, construction supervision, support to farmers' organisations, agricultural advice);
- Support to the structuring, professionalisation and strengthening of technical, administrative, financial and material capacities of farmers' organisations to strengthen their capacity for self-management, intensification and promotion of diversification of agricultural production;
- Environment Pilot Livestock Programme: support for herd management, planting of fodder plants and reforestation;
- Organisation of exchange visits.
|Office du Niger|
|BMZ through KfW|
|12/2021 – 12/2025|