The programme focuses on the implementation of economic infrastructure via the National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC) to improve the business environment for smallholder farmers and owners of small and medium sized enterprises. Insufficient and inadequate market infrastructure was identified as one of the key bottlenecks for rural development. The investment (approximately EUR 5 m) under Component 1 focuses, hence, on market infrastructure.
The technical assistance supports NLGFC during selection, design, tendering and works supervision. Additionally, operation and maintenance strategies for each market are developed and addressed in various trainings for the different stakeholders.
Five markets have been identified as priority markets. Three further markets have been identified, designed and constructed in a second lot.
- Project selection and identification;
- Investment programming and set-up of Grant Agreements;
- Technical and detailed designs, incl. supervision of environmental and social impact assessment;
- Procurement and contract management;
- Works supervision of the construction/rehabilitation of market infrastructure;
- Development and implementation of operation and maintenance concepts (including fee structure, business plans, water and energy supply, waste management);
- Training and capacity development of local authorities, operators, user groups;
- Support to Programme administration and Disposition Fund Management by NLGFC;
- Monitoring and Evaluation, including development and execution of surveys;
|National Local Government Finance Committee (NLGFC)|
|BMZ through KfW Development Bank|
|11/2017 – 12/2023|
|Contract value: 2,915,136 €|