The present component is part of an EU financing plan of 25 million euros for the project “Water and Sanitation Program for the Millennium” in Côte d’Ivoire. The main goal of the program was to improve the living conditions of the most vulnerable populations of the country. The project thus focused on the water and sanitation sector through the implementation of infrastructure in two districts located in the north-west of the country. This area faced several crises between 2002 and 2011, the drinking water infrastructure was severely damaged and the management and maintenance system for the facilities was lost.
The specific goals of the team responsible for technical support were the following:
- in cooperation with relevant actors, to support elaboration and drafting of the drinking water policy and to support the Ivorian government in its implementation;
- to assist the Ivorian government in the decentralisation process, which aims at transferring the ownership of the drinking water infrastructures in rural areas to the decentralized communities;
- to contribute to the durability of water infrastructures in rural areas through the professionalization of the management and the maintenance of the water points in rural areas at national level.
Support to the decentralisation of public services:
- Analysis of the existing regulatory and institutional framework;
- Analysis of the institutional aspects of the decentralisation;
- Analysis of the financial and budgetary aspects of the decentralization;
- Analysis of the legal aspects of the decentralisation;
- Organization of a restitution workshop at regional level;
- Analysis of the studies and the observations collected during the restitution workshop;
- Organization of a restitution workshop at national level;
- Elaboration of an institutional framework for the ownership of drinking water infrastructures in rural areas;
- Support to the implementation of this institutional framework in the regions covered by the PHAM.
|Office National de l’Eau Potable|
|10/2014 – 09/2017|
|Contract value: 1,326,000 €|