Transboundary Water Management and Development in the Congo Basin (“GETRACO”)
Detailed description of project:
Founded in 1999, the International Commission of the Congo-Oubangui-Sangha Basin (CICOS) is mandated with the promotion of inland navigation and the development of water resources in the basin. The CICOS unites five member states: Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Gabon, the Republic of Congo and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The aim of the project is to assist CICOS with the formulation of a water resources master plan. This strategic document should define, amongst others, the framework for sustainable water resources management in the Congo Basin and include the following three modules: i) a description of the current state of the basin, ii) a shared consensual vision for IWRM in the basin and iii) a programme of essential measures to reach the vision.
Participation is the fundamental principle for the development of the master plan, through the consultation of national and regional dialogue platforms. These are used to inform, consult and involve stakeholders at the national and regional level during the drafting of the water resources master plan.
Type of services provided:
- Support the establishment of national and regional consultation platforms to encourage cooperation and exchange among the CICOS stakeholders;
- Carry out a strategic analysis of the current situation and the challenges connected with the development and sustainable management of water resources in the Congo Basin;
- Support the stakeholders in finding a consensus for the long-term development objectives in the Congo Basin;
- Prepare an operational action plan for the Congo Basin;
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation system.
|German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)|
|08/2014 – 04/2016|