Consulting services to the National Small-scale Irrigation Programme (PNIP), period 2022-2027 – ACTION Component (Targeted Support for Irrigated Land and Nutrition Opportunities)
Detailed description of project:
The ACTION project concerns the development of irrigable agricultural potential in Mali and consists of constructing and rehabilitating hydro-agricultural infrastructure and complementary agricultural and fish farming infrastructure, as well as providing technical assistance for the sustainable use of irrigated land and the valorisation of its produce. The project supports Mali’s National Small-scale Irrigation Programme (PNIP).
Its overall objective is to improve the economic, food and nutritional security of the rural poor, especially women and youth, who practice small-scale irrigation in the regions of Koulikoro, Kayes and Mopti. More specifically, the project aims at
- equitably increasing productivity, production and income (agricultural, fish farming and small livestock) of male and female producers;
- improving the ecological potential of water and soil and of the resilience of producers to climate change;
- adopting good food and nutrition practices by women and children;
- improving the inclusive institutional governance of the small-scale irrigation sector in Mali.
The following activities are planned to be carried out:
- Construction and/or rehabilitation of 77 hydro-agricultural infrastructures (AHA), such as micro-dams, water-spreading weirs and dam-bridges (total irrigation potential of 2,355 ha);
- Construction of 77 market garden schemes with solar pumping (154 ha) and 616 large diameter wells;
- Construction of complementary infrastructure such as 96 km of rural roads, 8 storage warehouses;
- Environmental protection and anti-erosion measures (approx. 800 ha; reforestation, stone barriers, windbreaks, other water and soil conservation techniques);
- Fish farming measures in 29 micro-dams sites (ponds, floating cages, smoking ovens, etc.);
- Mobilisation and support to the population, including farmers' organisations (dam management committees and cooperatives for storage warehouses), training of users, in all phases of the construction and operation, maintenance and valorisation of these infrastructures;
- Raising awareness of 2,280 women to the risks of malnutrition / health and hygiene and diversification of crops;
- Design and implementation of a Remote Management, Monitoring and Verification (RMMV) system for the location and remote verification of the state of construction works and agricultural production results.
The various measures aim at an annual production of about 2,280 tons of paddy rice and 32,900 tons of market garden produce, produced by 16,150 producers, of which 4,850 are women (30%).
The implementation of the project is inter alia characterised by the following principles:
- Co-management of all measures. The Project's Implementation Unit and regional antennas are managed by a Regional Coordinator and an International Coordinator, and the project collaborates with the State's decentralised technical services for the implementation of several activities;
- The participatory approach, which guarantees the empowerment of the beneficiary populations and the appropriation of the infrastructures built by the users;
- The promotion of women through special attention to gender (e.g. minimum quotas for the use of land developed by women, for members of the management committees, and training).
The project also includes technical assistance to the National Directorate for Rural Development (DNGR), the Permanent Technical Secretariat (STP) of the PNIP and the coordinating entities of Mali’s small-scale irrigation sector, such as the National Orientation and Monitoring Committee (CNOS) and the Regional Technical Coordination Committees (CTRC).
Type of services provided:
Infrastructure / Engineering component:
- Mobilisation and organisation of the population;
- Development and implementation of a participatory approach for the construction, maintenance and development of the infrastructure;
- Participatory planning of investment measures with local authorities and decentralised technical services, inclusion of requests in the Social, Economic and Cultural Development Plans;
- Organisation and management of tenders for feasibility studies and design including environmental and social impact studies/notices; for construction/rehabilitation works, construction supervision as well as supplies (preparation of tender documents, evaluation, award of contracts) and supervision of contract execution;
- Supervision and acceptance of works;
- Organisation of the beneficiaries' contribution (financial and physical contribution as unskilled labour).
Accompanying measures / Valorisation Component:
- Supply of agricultural and fish farming inputs and equipment;
- Organisation and management of calls for tenders for service providers such as NGOs and local consultants; management of contracts and supervision of services; preparation, management and supervision of collaboration protocols with decentralised technical services;
- Support to the structuring, capacity building and functioning of water user associations and farmer organisations (farmer cooperative societies and dam management committees), including e.g. on administrative and financial management, operation and maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, realisation and maintenance of anti-erosion measures, etc.;
- Trainings and advice to farmers on agricultural and fish farming production techniques, processing and marketing (agronomy, technical itineraries, conservation, value chains, etc.), including farmer field schools ;
- Development of rules / operating agreements for newly developed land;
- Implementation of pilot methods for fish farming in small dams’ reservoirs;
- Capacity building of local technical services in charge of agricultural extension in the field of good nutrition, sensitisation/training of beneficiary households and the general public to good nutritional practices;
- Integration of agroecological approaches and practices into the project’s accompanying measures.
Technical assistance to the STP-PNIP:
- On a needs basis: support to the harmonisation of procedures among the various small-scale irrigation projects in Mali; to the coordination of financial management of the projects and the financing of the PNIP, incl. support to preparation of new funding lines; to progress reporting on PNIP level, including to the sub-sector’s M&E system and the development of data bases; to communication and capitalisation of experiences and results as well as to the preparatory and monitoring activities of the sub-sectoral coordinating and steering entities (CNOS).
- Management of the disposition fund;
- Monitoring and evaluation of project activities, results and impacts, including remote monitoring based also on satellite and drone images (conception, implementation of the RMMV system);
- Capitalisation of experiences and communication and visibility activities;
|National Directorate for Rural Development (DNGR), Ministry of Rural Development|
|Canadian Cooperation via KfW|
|10/2022 – 09/2027|