International Team Leader (m/f/d) and International Short-Term Experts (m/f/d) for Solid Waste Management Systems in National Parks / Protected Areas
The Project concerns the development of solid waste management implementation and operation plans for targeted national parks, the building of relevant infrastructure, along with an implementation of adequate waste management structures within the relevant ministries and a piloting of waste avoidance concepts.
The purpose of the Project is to protect National Parks against the impacts of increased waste generation so that they continue to be competitive tourist destinations which economically benefit the inhabitants of the regions concerned.
At the same time, the health of humans and animals and the stability of fragile ecosystems are protected. This is to contribute to the development cooperation overall programme objective “The sustainable management of natural resources and a fair access to them contribute to a functioning ecosystem and improved income in the rural areas”.
The Project shall finance predominantly the investments required for the establishment of waste management systems in the National Parks.
- Development of (solid) waste management implementation and operational plans including procedures and job descriptions;
- Construction of (solid) waste management infrastructure in the National Parks and procurement of required equipment;
- Removal or rehabilitation of existing dumpsites and waste heaps / clean-up campaigns during project implementation;
- Establishment and qualification of an adequate organisational structure capable to cope with (solid) waste management requirements in the National Parks;
- Development of awareness raising, information and education programmes on waste avoidance, minimisation, recycling and proper waste management.
University degree in:
- Environmental Engineering or
- Civil Engineering or
- Urban / Regional Planning
- Each with a specialization in (Solid) Waste Management
- Or similar qualification
Experience with working conditions in Namibia or the SADC region.
Principal Support Tasks:
The Team Leader (m/f/d) and the Short-Term Experts (m/f/d) shall support during the implementation of the Project with the following principal tasks:
- Facilitation of technical and financial project implementation;
- Support the planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of agreed activities;
- Provision of technical input and advice to the result areas of the project;
- Planning and supervision of infrastructure construction;
- Support the procurement of works, supply and service contracts and supervise execution including reception;
- Ensure financial management and project accountancy including management of disposition fund and preparation of annual financial and procedural audits;
- Preparation of project reports (inception, financial, progress, operational plan, etc.) including a final report;
- Supervision of project personnel and assigned consultants;
- Support and train responsible Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) units in establishing and implementing waste management operational and maintenance concepts;
- Provision of strategic thematic advice and professional expertise and support to MET and the project;
- Coordinate actively with relevant project partners and stakeholders;
- Ensure visibility of the project.
Region and duty station:
Several National Parks / Protected Areas countrywide, Duty Station Windhoek with frequent travel to project sites
Project / Assignment duration:
Long-term Team Leader (m/f/d) assignment and Short-Term Expert (m/f/d) inputs
Estimated project start:
First quarter 2020