Job Opportunities - Take a look at our Job opportunities
National Team Coordinator (m/f) for the Drought Resilience Programme in Northern Kenya (DRPNK)
The German government through the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) made a commitment to support the so-called "Drought Resilience Programme in Northern Kenya (DRPNK)".
DRPNK is to strengthen the drought resilience and climate adaptive capacities capacities – and herewith the food security – of the pastoral and agro-pastoral livelihoods and communities on a sustainable basis by expanding and rehabilitating relevant infrastructure in selected clusters in the counties of Turkana and Marsabit by providing funds for the required infrastructure investments. Given the particularly high poverty rates of the population in the two counties (92% in Turkana and 80% in Marsabit), the programme is likely to have a direct and strong impact on some of the poorest and most vulnerable parts of Kenya's population. The county governments of Turkana and Marsabit are the Project Executing Agencies.
The project will be implemented for a period of 36 months, starting from beginning of 2019.
The National Team Coordinator (NTC) (m/f) will be responsible for the overall technical coordination of the programme implementation and linkage between the teams in Turkana and Marsabit.
He/She will be based in Nairobi (with a project office at SDI) with frequent travels to Marsabit and Turkana. He/She will work on a part-time basis (50%). It is estimated that he/she will spend about 50% of the time budget in the counties.
The NTC (m/f) may represent the International Team Leader (based in Turkana) in meetings and for issues at the national level, if and when appropriate. At the same time, the National Team Coordinator (m/f) shall act as the counterpart of the National Programme Coordinator (NPC) and is a member of the National Programme Coordinating Unit (NPCU). He/She supports the two County Project Advisors (CPCs, in Turkana and Marsabit) and is closely linked with the two County Project Coordinators (CPCs).
The NTC (m/f) shall provide technical/thematic advice, support the planning and implementation of the project and ensure that the technical and administrative implementation (procurement, financial management, reporting, M&E) is in line with the agreed rules and regulations and according to the agreed timeline.
The tasks of the NTC (m/f) are comprehensive and include (but are not necessarily restricted to) the following:
- Support the Team Leader in all aspects of managing the project including coordination between Marsabit and Turkana, joint procurement, conduction of joint training measures, project administration, reporting, participation in the various committee meetings, etc.;
- Provide the Joint Programme Steering Committee (JPSC) with advice and guidance on the implementation of the project;
- Provide general management and oversight of the project results and measures in accordance with the approved log frame and time schedule;
- Support the Team Leader in preparing together with the NPCU and the CPCUs the Inception Report, the annual work plans/operational plans (including Annual Investment Plans and Procurement Plans) and other reports;
- Assist in procuring works, goods and consulting services according to agreed procedures;
- Support the Team Leader in managing the disposition funds including assessment of disbursement claims;
- Support the financial monitoring of approved budgets;
- Link under the guidance of the Team Leader project measures with the experiences and other ongoing activities supported by German Technical Cooperation;
- Act as primary point of contact at national level for PEA and SDI and the various cooperation partners;
- Support the evaluation/review of the project as appropriate;
- Coordinate M&E activities.
Post-graduate degree in Agro-economy, Rural development or a related discipline.
Country / Regional experience:
Working experience in Kenya
Expertise / Profile:
- Several years of practical professional experience in the sector with a proven track record in areas such as integrated rural development, land use planning, participatory approaches, community development, land use techniques, etc.;
- Strong background in management and financial administration of donor funded development projects;
- Specific knowledge of German Financial Cooperation (Management procedures, reporting, etc.) would be a plus;
- Track record for work with governmental institutions;
- Experience as Coordinator/Team Leader, preferably in long-term assignments.
Region and duty station:
Nairobi, with frequent travels to Turkana and Marsabit
Project / assignment duration:
18 months input over a period of 36 months project duration
Estimated project start: