Job Opportunities - Take a look at our Job opportunities
International Team Leader/County Project Advisor (m/f) for Turkana
The German government through the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) made a commitment to support the so-called "Drought Resilience Programme in Northern Kenya (DRPNK)".
DRPNK is to strengthen the drought resilience and climate adaptive capacities capacities – and herewith the food security – of the pastoral and agro-pastoral livelihoods and communities on a sustainable basis by expanding and rehabilitating relevant infrastructure in selected clusters in the counties of Turkana and Marsabit by providing funds for the required infrastructure investments. Given the particularly high poverty rates of the population in the two counties (92% in Turkana and 80% in Marsabit), the programme is likely to have a direct and strong impact on some of the poorest and most vulnerable parts of Kenya's population. The county governments of Turkana and Marsabit are the Project Executing Agencies.
The project will be implemented for a period of 36 months, starting from beginning of 2019.
It is expected that approximately 20% of the expert’s time budget is needed for management tasks in the role of the Team Leader (TL), the other 80% for tasks related to his role as the County Project Advisor (CPA) for Turkana.
He/She shall rely with respect to overall project management on the support of the services in particular of the National Team Coordinator based in Nairobi, as well as the International County Project Advisor for Marsabit.
The tasks of the expert (m/f) in his/her role as TL for overall project management are comprehensive and include (but are not necessarily restricted to) the following:
- Take the overall responsibility for all aspects of managing the programme including programme administration, monitoring, financial monitoring of approved budgets, reporting, coordination between Marsabit and Turkana, joint procurement, conduction of joint training measures, etc.;
- Provide general management and oversight of the programme results and measures;
- Provide the various steering structures such as the Joint Programme Steering Committee with advice and guidance on the implementation of the project;
- Supervise the procurement of works, goods and consulting services according to agreed procedures;
- Carry out the technical and contractual supervision of project personnel and subcontractors.
The tasks of the international expert (m/f) in his/her role as CPA for Turkana are comprehensive and include (but are not necessarily restricted to) the following:
- Work with the County Project Coordinating Unit and other stakeholders to develop appropriate approaches for implementing the project;
- Contribute to the general management and oversight of the project results and measures in accordance with the approved log frame and time schedule;
- Assist the Project Executing Agencies, if necessary and requested by them, in coordinating activities with other development partners on county level;
- Contribute to the preparation of project reports and annual work plans/operational plans;
- Work together with the procurement officer in procuring works, goods and consulting services according to agreed procedures and in line with national laws and regulations;
- Provide technical guidance as regards the preparation of the ToRs of short-term experts and assistance as regards the selection of appropriate candidates;
- Assist in financial monitoring of approved budgets;
- Supervise the Consultant’s project personnel (including support staff) and subcontractors (including short-term experts).
Postgraduate university degree in a discipline of rural development, agricultural engineering, irrigation engineering, water resource management or similar
Country / Regional experience:
Kenya, experience in Northern Kenya would be an asset
Expertise / Profile:
- Several years of practical professional experience in areas such as community development, integrated rural development, small-scale irrigation, water resource management (water harvesting), adaptation to climate change, livestock production enhancement, rangeland improvement, community participation, etc.;
- Practical experience in dry land management would be a strong asset;
- Experience as Team Leader/Coordinator/Project Manager (m/f) preferably in similar long-term project assignments;
- Work experience with donor-funded projects;
- Experience with German Financial Cooperation (KfW) would be a strong asset.
Region and duty station:
Project / assignment duration:
30 months input over a period of 36 months project duration
Estimated project start: