Sustainable water supply of the NOOR Midelt complex including Climate Change risks
The Kingdom of Morocco has launched the “Morocco Solar Plan”, a comprehensive solar power initiative as part of a wider energy and industrial development strategy. MASEN, the Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy, has been charged with the elaboration of this solar plan. Five sites have been projected. One of them is located in the NOOR Complex in Midelt. For the specific requirements of this site during operation (cooling systems, cleaning of the mirrors etc.) a raw water supply from the Hassan II Dam is foreseen.
- To ensure sustainability of the expected project activities, the study investigates the following aspects;
- Potential negative impacts of the planned raw water supply on the region’s water resources in the long term;
- Potential conflicts among the various water users in the region;
- Potential risks to the NOOR solar complex caused by critical situations (e.g. floods, droughts, etc.).
Type of services provided:
- Assessment of the sites and framework conditions (identification of stakeholders, data collection and analysis, etc.);
- Assessment of future uses and resulting potential impacts due to a changed water use pattern;
- Assessment of potential impacts on the stakeholders concerned;
- Optimal management of the water resources (development of a water balance; recommendations of remedial measures to decrease potential risks connected with the water supply);
- Simulation of Climate Change scenarios using the Water Evaluation and Planning Model (WEAP);
- Analysis of the current hydraulic balance of the Hassan II dam and its uses (AEP, irrigation);
- Evaluation of future trends in the area dominated by the dam (for ASP, irrigation, industries, climate change);
- Investigation of future impacts of the new water supply to the NOOR site on the dam users;
- Assessment of climate change risks on sustainability, including water supply to the NOOR site;
- Recommendations for sustainable water management.
|MASEN (Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy)|
|BMZ through KfW|
|10/2017 – 03/2018|
|Contract value: |