Water Sector Reform
Development of a computer-aided information system for the Rural Water Supply Directorate within the Ministry of Water in Dar es Salaam to provide information for the planning, implementation and operation of rural water supply projects. It was aimed to cover the whole of mainland Tanzania with approximately 12,000 registered villages.
The data base, which was established in MS-Access with an integrated Active-X GIS module for spatial visualisation and querying, covered the following items:
- Institutional aspects (address, status of scheme, administrative data, revenue system, capital costs, operational costs, performance data, etc.);
- Technical aspects (network, intakes, pumps);
- Resources and environmental data;
- Predefined but still very flexible reports related to all aspects of rural water supply;
- Queries and dynamic map outputs.
Particular emphasis was given to environmental problems related to the water sector (pollution, uncontrolled discharge, lacking sanitation).
Type of services provided:
- Design of a database under MS-Access, preparation of base maps;
- Development of data entry forms covering inputs like: address, resources, environment, technical, institutional, financial aspects, tariffs and revenue collection, administration, performance indicators;
- Development of queries and reports with dynamic maps integrated in MS-Access;
- Performance of both on-the-job and formal training on GIS (ArcView , QGIS) and database applications;
- Set-up of a small local computer network, assistance in the procurement of additional computers;
- Discussion with other ongoing projects in Tanzania dealing with computer-based information systems for the water sector to seek harmonisation of documentation, user-interfaces and data structures;
- Update of database structures and user interfaces to incorporate data from a new census (numbers of villages increased by 40%) and changing demands of the Ministry, using districts instead of regions as principal administrative entity;
- Transformation of the local system into a server-based information system using PHP/MySQL and MapServer;
- Training of the Ministry of Water’s staff in GIS and special software application.
|German Technical Co-operation|
|01/2000 – 04/2010|
|Contract value: 222,000 €|