Solid Waste Management Programme for Local Government Units
The project’s objective was to enable local government units to plan and operate integrated solid waste management systems in an economically and environmentally sustainable way. The executing agency was the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and, as a model, three of its regional Environmental Management Bureaus (EMB) in the Visayas.
The main emphasis was placed on policy advice to the DENR on national level, and institutional establishment of the three EMB waste departments, training of EMB staff and enhancing their performance in regulatory functions and advisory service for some 90 local government units (LGUs) on regional level. At the same time, the set-up of integrated management systems for household waste was supported in up to 12 selected medium-sized cities or municipality clusters as partner LGUs.
The programme supported the development of an accredited training programme for EMB and LGU waste managers with a sequence of 15 training modules, which included, among others, composting, site selection, design, construction and monitoring of sanitary landfills.
Type of services provided:
- Review of solid waste management plans and planning and implementation of recycling measures, involving the informal sector;
- Rehabilitation and extension of existing dumps to controlled sanitary landfills and assistance in their planning and permit application;
- Establishment of an environmental monitoring system for dump sites and sanitary landfills;
- Low-cost approaches to reduce methane emissions from waste disposal by applying eco-efficient soil cover for landfill rehabilitation;
- Training of professional staff and assistance in setting up waste management departments including recycling, use of modern waste treatment technologies and reduction of climate-relevant gases;
- Enhancement of know-how exchange and knowledge management with the National Commission for Waste Management;
- Support of the municipalities in applying for credits for investments in solid waste management.
|German Technical Co-operation|
|01/2005 - 12/2012|
|Contract value: 3,209,392 €|