Soil Conservation and Rehabilitation for Food Security – Baseline Study
The GIZ global project ‘Soil Conservation and Rehabilitation for Food Security’ has country components in five countries. The objective of the global project is to ‘implement sustainable approaches for the inclusive promotion of soil conservation and for the rehabilitation of degraded soils [rangelands] in selected partner countries’. In Ethiopia, the global project focuses on Afar Regional State and collaborates with the GIZ project ‘Capacity Development for Strengthening Drought Resilience of the (Agro-) Pastoral Population in the Lowlands of Ethiopia’.
Target groups for the projects are the (agro-) pastoral populations in and/or using the natural resources, mainly pastures and water of the region. Both projects help to strengthen village and other self-help groups, which improve their livelihoods through: improved pasture management, climate-adapted cropping livestock production methods, erosion control on pasture- and cropland, improved water management in valleys, and support in securing land-use rights. The target region comprises eight woredas (administrative districts) in Afar: Chifra, Gulina, Yalo, Teru, Ewa, Awra, Kori and Mille.
The objective of the baseline study was to design and implement a baseline survey to define the missing values of the project indicators and output indicators and to verify the object of observation for the two GIZ projects in Afar Regional State.
Type of services provided:
- Development of a gender-sensitive methodology for project monitoring:
- Development of a household questionnaire and guiding questions for Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) including pre-tests of the questionnaire and guiding questions;
- Elaboration of a sampling design and sampling plan;
- Development of a data entry mask in EpiData;
- Development of a Computer-Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI) methodology.
- Quantitative and qualitative data collection:
- Literature review and other secondary data collection;
- Conducting more than 700 household surveys in eight woredas in Afar Regional State;
- Conducting 12 FGDs and multiple expert/ key informant interviews.
- Data analysis and interpretation:
- Data consistency check and cleaning;
- Analysis of quantitative and qualitative data;
- Verification and adaptation regarding the baseline and endline values of indicators.
|Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammen-arbeit GmbH (GIZ)|
|German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)|
|10/2015 - 02/2016|
Contract value: 198,777 €