Recycling-oriented Wastewater Management and Sanitation Systems in the Béni Abbès Oasis
The development and implementation of a model for “recycling-oriented wastewater management and sanitation systems” was part of the GTZ programme “Integrated Water Resources Management”. Planning and realisation of the model, which was applied in the Béni Abbès Oasis in the Western Sahara, were carried out in a participatory approach involving local actors of the water sector and the population. Major aspects were: water cycle management by re-using treated wastewater for irrigation, and securing financial sustainability of water management. In order to achieve full support by the population, a comprehensive sensitisation campaign was carried out.
On the basis of an assessment of the current situation, AHT and the local actors developed water saving measures on a pilot basis. For each activity pre-feasibility studies were elaborated taking into account the technical and organisational requirements. Implementation of the selected pilot measures is done jointly by the Algerian donors, the administration and local actors, accompanied by sensitisation campaigns and training.
The sensitisation campaigns were targeted at households, public institutions (schools, mosques) and farmers to demonstrate the rational use of water resources. In this regard appropriate technical solutions, e.g. pressure taps, grey water use (shower, wash basin) for garden irrigation etc. were identified and implemented, also on a pilot basis. The project followed the Ecosan approach, i.e. effluents should already be separated by the users at home and then recycled or treated.
Type of services provided:
- Identification of responsible local actors and joint establishment of the project structure consisting of municipal decision makers and water users;
- Technical assessment of the existing water supply and sanitation system, including financial and organisational aspects;
- Development of water saving measures on a pilot basis, including pre-feasibility studies for each activity, e.g.:
- Introduction of constructed wetlands including adequate maintenance;
- Construction of a collective irrigation water reservoir and rehabilitation/construction of irrigation schemes.
- Execution of sensitisation campaigns for households, public institutions (schools, mosques) and farmers to demonstrate the rational use of water resources
|German Technical Cooperation|
|01/2005 - 12/2006|
|Contract value: 360,000 €|