Job Opportunities - Take a look at our Job opportunities
Team Leader (m/f) Integrated NRM Specialist - For Irrigated Agriculture Inclusive Development Project
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The objective of the Technical Assistance (TA) is to enhance rural productivity and ecosystems services in Central Dry Zone (CDZ) forest reserves of Myanmar. Under the GEF co-finance, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation (MONREC), notably the Dry Zone Greening Department (DZGD), will be the Implementing Agency, and work in close coordination with the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation. Initial training and capacity development will be conducted in Mae Nyo Taung forest reserve in Meikhtila District, Mandalay Region, and once tested and refined, the packages will be scaled up to cover over 300,000 ha of Permanent Forest Estate (PFE) as well as surrounding villages and townships in the CDZ.
The Technical Assistance was approved by ADB on 28 November 2016 funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), to complement an ADB loan to the Union Government of Myanmar titled “Irrigated Agricultural Inclusive Development Project”.
There will be four main outputs from the TA, including:
- Soil and water conservation practices improved across 5,500 ha of forest reserve and 5,000 ha of agricultural lands, with avoided greenhouse gas emissions of 280,751 tCO2e and 195,301 tCO2e, respectively over 20 years, and 15% increase in annual gross income of participating households from agriculture at Mae Nyo Taung FR by 2023;
- Biodiversity and ecosystems management mainstreamed into forest management planning by 2023;
- Forest rehabilitation and ecosystems management scaled up, resulting in avoided greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of 637,318 tCO2e over 20 years from afforestation / natural generation; avoided GHG emissions of 1,708,875 tCO2e over 20 years from improved agricultural productivity over 50,000 ha, and strengthened forest conservation measures across 300,000 ha with 45,000 ha of improved degraded forest lands resulting in avoided GHG emissions of 2,998,541 tCO2e over 20 years, and
- Policy and knowledge management capacity related to land use, water use and agriculture development in the CDZ strengthened.
The expert (m/f) will:
- Provide technical guidance and advice for the project,
- Ensure that project level operations, administration and financial processes are established to standards required by ADB and GEF,
- Assist in preparation of annual and quarterly work plans and budgets,
- Foster collaborative working relationships with other donor-funded projects, international agencies, non-government and civil society organizations and relevant government ministries and departments,
- Advise on process to design and deliver bio-physical assessments capacity building and technical assistance, and
- Provide inputs to preparation of all financial and technical reports required by ADB and GEF.
- Project level administration and financial systems established and operational to ADB standards by Q3 2018,
- Project technical and financial reports satisfactorily completed and submitted to ADB and GEF in timely manner,
- Capacity development and technical assistance programs appropriately designed, packaged and delivered to project stakeholders and beneficiary communities by 2023,
- All project technical targets as described in TA Design and Monitoring Framework (DMF) achieved.
Advanced degree in environmental sciences, biology, engineering, or relevant field.
Country / Regional experience:
Previous long term posting in South East Asia mandatory, previous working experience in Myanmar is a strong asset.
Expertise / Profile:
- Several years of working experience in project management, preferably of multilateral donor organisations like Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Global Environment Facility (GEF),
- Profound working experience with common approaches to sustainable natural resources management and biodiversity conservation in the context of multilateral donor funded projects worldwide,
- Sound understanding of agriculture and irrigation, agroforestry and forestry,
- Sound understanding of participatory and inclusive approaches with local target groups and beneficiaries,
- Understanding of ongoing discussion and approaches to REDD+, PES, and related mechanisms.
Region and duty station:
Meikhtila District / Mandalay Region
Project / assignment duration:
Three years / 30 person months
Estimated project start:
Expression of Interest