Job Opportunities - Take a look at our Job opportunities
Senior Team Leader (m/f) Protected Area Management / Park Infrastructure Rehabilitation
The Project concerns the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity in three priority protected areas in Ethiopia, namely Bale Mountain National Park (BMNP), Simien Mountain National Park (SNMP) and Halleydeghi Asebot Proposed National Park (HPNP). The purpose of the project is to effectively manage priority protected areas in collaboration and partnership with the local communities and other stakeholders. This is to sustainably conserve the biodiversity and landscapes of priority protected areas and thus contribute to the conservation and the sustainable use of biodiversity and to the improved livelihood of the local population and economic development of the country. Project measures in the following fields shall be financed from the financial contribution:
- Improved infrastructure and equipment in the three selected protected areas;
- Strengthened protected area management in the selected areas;
- Local communities are engaged in protected area and natural resource management, and tourism development is conducted in a way that benefits the local communities;
- Project Management and Consultancy Services at both national and park management level.
- General management and oversight of Project results and measures in accordance with the approved log frame and time schedules;
- Support the Project Execution Agency (PEA) in project implementation including elaboration of various planning documents around infrastructure measures in the protected area;
- Support in the overall coordination of the project activities in close cooperation with PEA and other partners;
- Compile and initiate in scaling up best practices of effective management of protected areas;
- Support the planning and implementation of livelihood restoration measures;
- Support Park Management in establishing and implementing operational, financial and maintenance concepts regarding infrastructure and equipment;
- Support the project in quality assurance of investment activities, especially design and work supervision, in tendering of procurement of works and services;
- Supervision of infrastructure and supply contract execution;
- Support the preparation of an updated General Management Plan and its implementation;
- Support and ensure financial management of the Project and accountancy including management of a disposition fund;
- Team leading and team management;
- Coordinate with AHT backstopper and KfW;
- Prepare project reports for KfW.
Postgraduate university degree in natural resource management, forestry, conservation biology, ecology, rural development, or similar.
Country / Regional experience:
Working experience in Ethiopia and / or East Africa (would be a strong asset).
Proficiency in the English language.
Expertise / Profile:
- Proven track record (own practical implementation experience) in areas such as protected area management, conservation planning, integrated rural development, community development, participation of local communities;
- Work experience as team leader in long-term assignments;
- Proven background in management and financial administration of development projects;
- Several years of practical professional experience in the sector;
- Work experience as Team Leader or long-term expert with German Financial Cooperation (management procedures, reporting, etc.) would be a strong asset;
- Previous work in protected area management in the region would be a strong asset.
Region and duty station:
Addis Ababa (office), 3 Protected Areas (Bale Mountain, Simien Mountain and Halleydeghi Asebot
Project / assignment duration:
Estimated project start: